Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

Anyone running SWAT 3 and Last Resort on Linux?

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #2921 by AlfieLC
Sorry Jim I forgot to mention that I'm also getting an error of an illegal byte sequence in the string parameter of the ini and also ini not set to instance of object so I'm assuming that means it can't find/access the ini?
It seems the launcher really just doesn't play well with these setups.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago #2922 by AlfieLC
Honestly, my mistake I assumed with it launching and being able to start a quick mission with -nointro all was well but you're right the old problem of the videos has returned. Getting error opening avi messages.

All the tools do seem pretty similar which makes sense since they’re all based on Wine anyway.

Hopefully we can get this figured out!

More
2 months 1 week ago #2923 by AlfieLC
Okay so I used my Windows desktop to SSH to my Steam Deck and run Last_Resort.exe. I was able to configure it and save which updated the ini without any errors.

I’ve launched the game and the main menu has changed to Last Resort. What else should I check to see that it’s been correctly installed and configured?

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #2924 by AlfieLC
Okay so regarding the videos, enabling the Xvid codec in Winetricks unfortunately does not work with the replacement videos - nothing changes.

This may possibly be related to the resolution of the videos as I believe may have caused this issue before? Similar to how the Launcher doesn’t like it either, furthermore setting the 2D resolution to anything other than 800x600 results in a launch error. Perhaps we could try using a 800x600 Xvid premovie.avi to see if that gets rid of the first error?

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #2930 by Slippery Jim
When I try to launch the game via Steam and Proton it just shuts down after a second or two.   VM is infamous for having poor video card support so I suspect this is the problem.  -nointro flag doesn't help.

Okay so I used my Windows desktop to SSH to my Steam Deck and run Last_Resort.exe. I was able to configure it and save which updated the ini without any errors.

I’ve launched the game and the main menu has changed to Last Resort. What else should I check to see that it’s been correctly installed and configured?

If you can see the Last Resort 2D menu in the game the only other thing to test to see if it is fully working is to run a map and look for high resolution textures.  Check out the University map if you have the latest beta version of Last Resort mod (v0.8.5).

If you get the game running correctly I highly recommend you make a backup of "Swat.cfg" file since if the game crashes it can damage that file and/or regenerate a fresh generic version without your resolution choices that are saved in it.  That is one of the things the Last Resort launcher does is constantly update the "Swat.cfg" before running the game in case this happens.

Okay so regarding the videos, enabling the Xvid codec in Winetricks unfortunately does not work with the replacement videos - nothing changes.

This may possibly be related to the resolution of the videos as I believe may have caused this issue before? Similar to how the Launcher doesn’t like it either, furthermore setting the 2D resolution to anything other than 800x600 results in a launch error. Perhaps we could try using a 800x600 Xvid premovie.avi to see if that gets rid of the first error?

Upgrading all the movies to higher resolution is something I have worked on and is complete on my HD but I haven't released it yet.

Have you tried the MPEG4 replacement videos instead or the XVID version?

Swat 3 does a check at startup if your machine can handle 640x480 resolution.  I am not sure if it is doing that just because it is trying to run the movies.   You can rename all the main movies such as "sierra.avi", "swat_intro.avi", "Plane.avi", "explosion.avi" and the game will just skip them when it can't find them.

More
2 months 1 week ago #2933 by qcstewart
I have tried both sets of videos but it behaves the same. I am going to play around with setting a virtual desktop size of 800x600 to see if that will make a difference to that check.

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds