Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

Anyone running SWAT 3 and Last Resort on Linux?

More
2 months 1 week ago #2914 by Slippery Jim
Okay I am hitting my head against a wall with a VM machine trying to run Ubuntu.

Swat 3 won't run because I suspect the VM has really crappy GPU support.

The Last Resort launcher doesn't seem to work properly in Wine. It errors out right away with a "Swat.ini" error for some reason. I never even got to the errors you guys saw.

I may have to change my approach, lol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #2915 by AlfieLC
I’m using Heroic Launcher to install and run the GOG version. Install it via Discovery and login to your GOG account and download and play via that. It all just works automagically and sets up all the Proton stuff for you. It also allows you to specify custom EXEs to launch from - IE Last Resort once we get it working although there are workarounds for this on Steam too.

FYI Slippery Jim the game fails to launch using any of the Last Resort EXE files via Proton but I suppose we’ll work on getting the launcher to work first.

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #2916 by AlfieLC
Jim when you install Steam on Linux and run SWAT 3 through Proton what happens?

If you’re using the GOG version you can use Heroic (+Steam) for this or on Steam it should use its builtin Proton.

More
2 months 1 week ago #2918 by qcstewart

I’m using Heroic Launcher to install and run the GOG version. Install it via Discovery and login to your GOG account and download and play via that. It all just works automagically and sets up all the Proton stuff for you. It also allows you to specify custom EXEs to launch from - IE Last Resort once we get it working although there are workarounds for this on Steam too.

FYI Slippery Jim the game fails to launch using any of the Last Resort EXE files via Proton but I suppose we’ll work on getting the launcher to work first.
I've been using Lutris, but I just tried Heroic and got an error when it tries to load the movie file: "Error opening z:\home\deck\games\heroic\swat 3\sierra.avi". I tried renaming it but then it failed on the next movie file. I then replaced the files with the re-encoded ones but neither pack changed the behavior. Would you mind sharing the Wine Version that is selected in the settings so I can make sure I am using the same one?

More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 1 week ago #2919 by AlfieLC
I added -nointro to the launch commandline parameters in the SWAT 3 settings in Heroic and have Proton Experimental selected as Wine version and it just works. This is the same for Steam.  

Honestly, I wouldn’t use Lutris for anything since you can launch any EXE using Proton by simply adding it to Steam and selecting a Proton version and it’ll create a prefix for you. Do not do this with Heroic Games namely SWAT 3 see below.  

For Steam titles and applications running through Proton via Steam you should also grab Protontricks from Discovery.  

It lets you do all sorts of stuff like install prerequisites but importantly lets you launch any additional EXEs using existing Proton prefixes (for example mod installers). Make sure to open them with “Protontricks Launcher” and not just “Protontricks” as with the latter nothing will happen.  

Note: Heroic comes with the SAME tool called Winetricks (exact same thing except it manages prefixes not created by Steam). So don’t add Heroic Launcher games (SWAT 3) to Steam or you’ll end up with a Heroic prefix and a Steam prefix. You can add them to your Steam library using Heroic.  

Finally, just in addition to a previous comment I made about running alternate EXEs when launching the game, to do this for the Steam version you would use "FULL PATH TO MOD.EXE" %command% in the launch params OR to add the modded EXE as a separate title, add the mods EXE file as a non-Steam game and use the commandline parameter “STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=“ pointing to SWAT 3s prefix location.

More
2 months 1 week ago #2920 by qcstewart
Thanks for providing that! I guess I misunderstood that you were able to play the videos during the game and that was working, is that not the case? It still crashes if a video is played in the mission briefing, but otherwise, I have been able to run the base game when using -nointro with certain Wine/Proton versions, I was just hoping you had a way for the movies to play within the game.

I use Lutris mostly the same as you do Heroic Launcher, as an easier way to manage the installation of Non-Steam games. It will create a self-contained Wine/Proton prefix like Heroic does, and you can launch winetricks from within the app or run another exe in a given prefix. You can also do the same as you are with Heroic and add a game to Steam which then will be launched through Lutris, instead of Steam treating it as a Windows game and handling the compatibility itself.

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds