Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

Reversing

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #2525 by ggaston095
Replied by ggaston095 on topic Reversing
I'm curious, How are characters models exported to blender?

, maps and props (furniture, etc) seem difficult to convert to blender at first?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #2526 by Slippery Jim
Replied by Slippery Jim on topic Reversing
Different file formats. Skins are .GSM files while maps are .SCN files. A long time ago someone from the community made an exporter for the skins but didn't release it to the public for fear of aiding mod thieves and/or annoying the game's developers.

Of course the compiled .SCN map files could be reverse engineered also but we are a small community. Not many are left with the 3D knowledge and coding skills to make an exporter.

There are 3D ripping tools available but that would generally only give you the raw geometry without the texture information for the surfaces. It would be a lot of work to manually recreate the maps. You would also have to build a plugin to re-export the map into the .SCN format at the end.

More
2 years 3 months ago #2530 by ggaston095
Replied by ggaston095 on topic Reversing
Which 3d ripping tools are available? Can it be directly exported to blender?

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #2531 by Slippery Jim
Replied by Slippery Jim on topic Reversing
There are generic 3D ripping tools that have been around a while that can be found with Google.

For instance: wiki.vg-resource.com/3D_Ripper_DX

For Swat 3 I think any 3D ripper that can work with DirextX 9 will do the job.

They usually export to a common old format such as Wavefront OBJ (which I assume can be loaded by modern-day Blender).

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds