Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

Pooling map textures into single folder

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #2699 by Slippery Jim
Sorry for the extremely slow reply. I started in May on a job that is 50-60 hours per week and that goes for 10 months.

We are on a 12 day hiatus right now so I hope to get some work done on the mod.

I am confused by your post. Not sure what you want done differently with the mod.

All the upgraded textures go into "Last_Resort_v0.8.4.zip" in the mod folder. The reason why I was forced to turn it into a mod was because of issues with texture priority. The game was giving textures that were in the mission folders highest priority so some new upgraded textures were being ignored. I found that the very first mod listed in the "Swat.ini" file has the highest priority of all (which is always the Last Resort textures mod file thanks to the Last Resort Launcher)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #2700 by lunamonkey
Hi there, no worries on the wait, I hope the new role is going ok.

"Not sure what you want done differently with the mod"

I guess would it be possible to include in your mod the assets that you haven't yet upscaled? And the non-upgraded assets sit alongside the upgraded assets in your very same mod folder.

Aim : Allow users like myself to upgrade / customise individual textures. (Without having to move files around from the res / cab / raw files installed with SWAT3.

Why : So that if we happened to upgrade them ourselves, we don't need to move them to a mod folder. They would already be there inside your last resort folder.

I will give the forum thread on modding a read and see if I can make heads or tails from the files in SWAT3 folder.

Thanks Jim,

Luna.

More
1 year 8 months ago #2701 by Slippery Jim
You mean you want to have the textures that haven't been upgraded included in the mod also? Not sure why this would help because all the untouched textures are already provided by the game in the normal .RES files. Is it to help other mod makers keep track of the textures remaining that need to be upgraded?

This would actually be a bit of a chore to do right now because of the messy way I work. I am in the middle of using the AI software to upgrade textures. For each mission I create a new folder in the MOD folder containing the original textures for that map. I then overwrite them with textures that I think would benefit from the AI software and activate that mod folder for testing in the game. Usually only about 40% of those are useful without tweaking. Another 40% are complete garbage so I delete those. Another 20% are acceptable if I clean them up in Photoshop. What I am left with is a mangled collection of textures in a mod folder, lol.

This is a long answer to just say that I am not that organized. I do things the quickest way since I don't have a lot of free time. Sorry!

PS: I plan on fixing all textures that I already made that have a later date than 2005 to keep it cannon with the setting of Swat 3. I noticed a few in MissionB in particular. Thankfully I still have the .PDF files to make the changes easier.

More
1 year 8 months ago #2702 by lunamonkey
"all the untouched textures are already provided by the game in the normal .RES files."

So I just unzip them and look in the folders that get created. Ok.

"Is it to help other mod makers keep track of the textures remaining that need to be upgraded?"

It might help, but I was thinking for selfish reasons that it would make it easier for me.

You keep doing what you're doing of course. I was only asking in case it was straight forward, but you have a workflow and I don't want to add to it. :D

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.310 seconds