Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

View Swat 3 maps in your browser

More
4 years 2 months ago #1177 by CraftyReaper
That would be good to show how some of the community did their tricks, like ladders, downward opening doors etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #1178 by Slippery Jim
I was trying to compile a list of community maps to include by looking at the number of downloads over at Swat 3 Re-united but I don't think that properly reflects the older maps. Ratings over there too were tilted towards newer maps.

For instance, Nakatomi Plaza, only has 253 downloads possibly because most people still have a copy. It only had 2 people that submitted ratings.

• S4
More
4 years 2 months ago #1179 by S4
Replied by S4 on topic View Swat 3 maps in your browser
You can certainly add the stoner house to the map viewer. Lol.

More
3 years 5 months ago #1794 by Induktio
Impressive effort so far. This brings me to a couple of questions.

1. What kind of tools did you use to convert the maps to json format? Does it work on all custom maps?

2. Do you have a repo for the source code of this project somewhere? Could get some contributions that way.

3. Mouse navigation (especially non first-person) seems a little wonky and cumbersome to use. There's some kind of an issue with mouse scrolling (zoom) where it stops working. Actually I would just implement camera movement the same way it was done in Unreal Editor, they have a really efficient user interface in that aspect.

Possible there's many ways to speed up the loading of this app but I didn't research that part in any detail.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #1798 by Slippery Jim
Induktio, thanks for trying the feature out.

1) It is a python script that works on any map. We only converted the official maps since I assumed it is most useful as a learning tool to see how the "experts" designed their maps. No reason why community maps couldn't be done also. I do have a limitation with my website host in terms of file space (since the website is being generously hosted for free by Haystakk).

2) Our modifications haven't been posted, but the brilliant original hard work by AlienAbducter is still online I believe. At the outset of this project I had concerns that the software could be used by people to rip maps but I am starting to think that is foolish now since there are so few members of the community left. Besides, a compiled map would be a real chore to turn it back into useable Worldcraft/Hammer map.

The other reason I never bothered to post the repo is already mentioned above...the community is so small now it felt like a long shot that anyone would contribute in terms of code changes/fixes.

3) Perhaps try a different browser? There are definitely different performance hits on various browsers I tested. I seem to recall also that there is a slow down if you load many maps in a row (without shutting down the browser periodically). I agree though that this tool could use more work but I am already busy with real life work and the Last Resort mod and my son (who works on the Python/Java side) is busy with university.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #1799 by Induktio
Realistically speaking I see only one scenario where you shouldn't release the conversion tools. If it were possible to monetize it as a commercial product in a legitimate way, then sure it could be kept as closed source, but it wouldn't work in this case since all these things are tied to IP owned by the publisher.

Most likely it would be possible to recreate the tools from the specs provided by scnedit's sources when it can handle loading most maps. On my tests it had crash issues with some custom maps, but probably that isn't something that can't debugged with moderate effort.

I've actually done reverse engineering projects on games even older than this and they were very successful in gaining player adoption and visibility on Github. So just because something is old, don't discount the possibility of gaining more contributions. ;)

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.445 seconds