Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

Start up crash with error code 58

More
2 years 3 months ago #2646 by ElecMan
Thanks for the link! I now understand why it didn't worked before, I used to copy the 64bit dll instead of 32bits as my system is 64bits.
But sure, swat 3 was indeed in 64bits. It works but can't force 1080x1920, I will dig into the parameters.

About the movies, I don't understand why I still have the intro crash issue because I have the MPEG-4 variant of movies..
It's very frustrating because I can play some mission but not career mode :-/
I have VLC installed and I tried to install Xvid-1.3.7-20191228 codec.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #2647 by Slippery Jim

Thanks for the link! I now understand why it didn't worked before, I used to copy the 64bit dll instead of 32bits as my system is 64bits.
But sure, swat 3 was indeed in 64bits. It works but can't force 1080x1920, I will dig into the parameters.

Your post is confusing to read.

As far as I know, the DgVoodoo .dll files that you use should be the 32-bit versions to match Swat 3 since the game executable is 32-bit.

If your computer is 64-bit you can use the 64-bit version of the DgVoodoo configuration app "dgVoodooCpl.exe" but the 32-bit version might work just as well.

As for 1920x1080 I would recommend NOT forcing it with DgVoodoo (as shown in the recommended settings in my previous post).  Just let the Last Resort mod take care of the resolutions.

About the movies, I don't understand why I still have the intro crash issue because I have the MPEG-4 variant of movies..
It's very frustrating because I can play some mission but not career mode :-/
I have VLC installed and I tried to install Xvid-1.3.7-20191228 codec.

If you have installed the replacement MPEG-4 movies no extra codec is needed. Modern versions of Windows all support it perfectly.

It is possible the reason why your computer can't play the movies is because they are 640x480. You can play the movies in a media player such as VLC because it displays them in a window instead of trying to go to a proper full screen. Check on your laptop's video driver settings if you can enable 640x480 resolution (or even 800x600). With my laptop I had to manually tick a box in the driver to activate the lower resolutions.

More
2 years 3 months ago #2648 by ElecMan

Slippery Jim post=2647 userid=814
Your post is confusing to read.

As far as I know, the DgVoodoo .dll files that you use should be the 32-bit versions to match Swat 3 since the game executable is 32-bit.

Sorry. I hope it is clearer, I tried to setup DgVoodoo before posting here the first post. It didn't worked because by mistake I copied the 64bit version of .dll. Now it's ok I copied 32bits version an I'm able to see DgVoodoo as Swat3 3D adapter. Thanks to your link I realized my mistake.

Slippery Jim post=2647 userid=814As for 1920x1080 I would recommend NOT forcing it with DgVoodoo (as shown in the recommended settings in my previous post).  Just let the Last Resort mod take care of the resolutions.

My second attempt worked but limited to 1280x1024 (I don't know why). I tried various settings.

Today I tried a third time and re set exactly all parameters as yours and.. It works! May be I forgot something last time.
Many thanks, now I have a 1920x1080 smooth game!

If you have installed the replacement MPEG-4 movies no extra codec is needed. Modern versions of Windows all support it perfectly.

It is possible the reason why your computer can't play the movies is because they are 640x480. You can play the movies in a media player such as VLC because it displays them in a window instead of trying to go to a proper full screen. Check on your laptop's video driver settings if you can enable 640x480 resolution (or even 800x600). With my laptop I had to manually tick a box in the driver to activate the lower resolutions.

Ok I understand, I looked into my driver an I have the 640x480 and 800x600 mode activated amongst others. I tried to change the whole windows resolution to 800x600 to see if it has an impact but it's the same..

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #2649 by Slippery Jim
I am very happy you were able to get it all working in 1920x1080.

Now let us tackle the movies...

Troubleshooting step 1:

Start up the Last Resort launcher and go to the 3D Settings Tab.  Untick the box that says "hide different aspect ratios".  Is both 640x480 and 800x600 listed here?

Troubleshooting step 2:

Any chance you can look in the Windows event log for errors:
www.swat3lastresort.info/index.php/event-log-tutorial

Basically you will want to re-enable the movies and cause the game to crash at startup. Then follow the link above to see if Windows 10 recorded the cause of the crash.

More
2 years 2 months ago #2651 by ElecMan

Start up the Last Resort launcher and go to the 3D Settings Tab.  Untick the box that says "hide different aspect ratios".  Is both 640x480 and 800x600 listed here?

Yes I have both 640x480 and 800x600 in 32bpp. Hum.. something that may interest you is when I untick "List 32 bit color modes instead" I get the following warning "Warning: 640x480 is needed by Swat3". So may be the issue is related to 16bpp mode?

Troubleshooting step 2:

Any chance you can look in the Windows event log for errors:
www.swat3lastresort.info/index.php/event-log-tutorial

Basically you will want to re-enable the movies and cause the game to crash at startup. Then follow the link above to see if Windows 10 recorded the cause of the crash.

I tried your tuto, I made swat 3 crash at startup but can't see the log of desired crash. I tried several times.
Btw I can see older crashes (several days older) but with no interesting info:

Faulting application name: Swat.exe, version: 2.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x74617773
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1466, time stamp: 0x9012d056
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00044319
Faulting process id: 0x25e0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d80eeb276376e5
Faulting application path: C:\Sierra\SWAT3\Swat.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 931ea823-7715-4ee4-b917-7ac039aee77b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

May be the log will appear later, I will retry tomorrow.

More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #2652 by Slippery Jim

Yes I have both 640x480 and 800x600 in 32bpp. Hum.. something that may interest you is when I untick "List 32 bit color modes instead" I get the following warning "Warning: 640x480 is needed by Swat3". So may be the issue is related to 16bpp mode?

That is good that both are listed in 32-bit colour because the launcher checks with Windows what resolutions are available. From my understanding of the query method used it cross checks with both your video card and your monitor what it can do.

If you untick the 32-bit colour box you won't see any available resolutions. Windows 10 can only emulate 16-bit colour unfortunately and is why we need dgVoodoo to help speed the process back up.

I can see older crashes (several days older) but with no interesting info:

Code:
Faulting application name: Swat.exe, version: 2.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x74617773 Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1466, time stamp: 0x9012d056 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x00044319 Faulting process id: 0x25e0 Faulting application start time: 0x01d80eeb276376e5 Faulting application path: C:\Sierra\SWAT3\Swat.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll Report Id: 931ea823-7715-4ee4-b917-7ac039aee77b Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

Hopefully those are just old crashes from when you had issues with dgVoodoo. Trying to discover the source of the ntdll.dll error may prove difficult.

Any chance you can re-store the original Indeo codec movies to see if they give an error that shows up in the logs?

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds