Last resort logo

SWAT 3 - LAST RESORT GAME MODIFICATION

Spam Prevention - PLEASE READ !! (23 Apr 2021)

Due to a problem with spammers the rules for posting in the forums have changed for new users.

Newly registered users won't have their posts published until a moderator approves them.

Swat 3 Server shut down temporarily

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #2017 by Slippery Jim
Sorry guys but I had to shut down the server for potentially the rest of this weekend.   For some reason the server is crashing when some people log off.

This is a new behaviour that has never happened in previous beta tests as far as I know.

The server runs off a version of Linux combined with Wine.  Perhaps an update since the last beta test has made it more unstable?   Perhaps switching to a Windows based server would help.   Doing tests now.

Server down until further notice!

UPDATE:  Forgot to mention we are getting an error about failing to get a certificate from the main NeuWon server.  This could be the issue also.  I will email Ben, the owner of NeuWon, but he is notoriously slow at responding :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #2018 by Slippery Jim
Finally got the server working on a Windows based machine just for a testing. Checking if it is more stable than Linux based.

Just like the problem with CD Key tool needing admin status I had the same issue with the server on Windows needing the verification key to actually be stored in the "Wow6432Node" part of the Windows registry.

More
3 years 3 months ago #2019 by flood6

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #2021 by Slippery Jim
I am in the process of backing up the Linux machine and then trying to install Windows 10 over it. It is a pretty old machine so not sure if Windows 10 will complain about the hardware.

The backup is needed if we discover that Linux wasn't the source of trouble or that Windows 10 won't run on the server.

UPDATE: Well Windows 10 installed on the server but of course needs updating.   So far sound not working.  Networking driver may not be working properly either since download seems slow.  They never released Windows 10 drivers for the hardware so we shall see what Windows 10 can pull out of it's hat.

Will probably still dual boot Linux since I created a second partition.

Update 2:  Forgot to mention that Ben replied to my email and says he will look into why the server isn't getting a certificate.

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #2023 by Slippery Jim
Got another email from Ben.

He hasn't had time to investigate the certificate failure issue but so far has no idea why it is happening. He reports he has daily disconnects with his ISP last two months.

He is thinking he might switch to a proper server host but that would take money. He asked me how many Swat 3 players we had and I immediately cringed. He probably in his head is wondering if it is worth him spending the money in a cost/benefit analysis. I told him that we haven't really launched yet so I can't give him accurate numbers.

I feel like we are chasing our tail.   I am waiting for the mod to be finished to my satisfaction and for the NeuWon website to be finished before announcing the mod properly.   We won't have an idea about demand until everything is fixed, released, and announced to public.   Will it be a "built it and they will come" moment?

More
3 years 2 months ago #2026 by Slippery Jim
Looks like Ben fixed the certificate error since the server gets it now fine.

The server has been moved and is working properly now on a Windows platform. Will need to see if I changed all the power settings properly so it doesn't go to sleep.

Moderators: DarkSynopsis
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds